If your kids spend all day playing video games in front of the television and snacking, it is definitely time to create a diet and exercise routine. Right now, childhood obesity is at an all time high. In fact, it may even be at epidemic proportions. The truth of the matter is that a lot of children don’t want to get active, especially if they are used to a sedentary lifestyle, which is why you want to make getting outdoors fun. When it comes down to it, physical fitness is essential to the health and wellbeing of your child. Just like you take your child to the doctor to receive immunizations, you also want to take your child to the park so that he or she can run around. Here is how to help your kids get and stay active.
- Broach the subject – you don’t want to surprise your kids, you want to start by slowly talking to your child about the importance of physical activity. You can start by asking them how they feel about exercise. By gauging their responses to these initial questions, you can steer the conversation in the right direction.
- Find an outdoor space that promotes physical activity – for instance, a park or a playground is an excellent space for physical activity. If your child likes to go skateboarding, you may want to find a skate park where your child can practice tricks. Just make sure, though, that your child is safe – you want to make sure that he or she is wearing a helmet, kneepads and shin pads. If you want your child to continue enjoying physical activity, you want to prevent an injury at any cost.
- Sign up for a gym – a gym is a great space to take an older child. There is a good chance that a personal trainer will be able to work with your child to develop an exercise regimen that works. There are many gyms, like Fitness 19, where you and your child can find the appropriate machinery and equipment to use. For instance, you may want to use the elliptical machines to get a good cardio workout that is easy on the joints.
- Make it fun – indeed, if you want to make sure that your kids stay active, you want to make physical activity fun. The best way to make exercise fun is to create games – you can make the games up yourself or you can go online and learn some fun activities. When it comes down to it, if the exercises aren’t fun, you will need to make sure you find an activity that is.
- Create a daily plan – having a plan will give you the opportunity to develop goals. When push comes to shove, meeting these goals should be the objective of implementing the plan in the first place. If you’re like most people, it can be hard to stay focused on your goals without a constant reminder. This is why you may want to have a big white board in your home. You could even offer incentives for meeting various goals. In the end, there is nothing like a good incentive to motivate your child.